Dyslexic Mystic

Monday, May 01, 2006

My first Blog. Choice.

Sometimes I wish I could better express what creating music is to me. I end up sounding so metaphysical and shamanistic. But I think I am coming to the realization that written/spoken language is not all it is cracked up to be. It seems to leave out an enormous amount of experience that it simply does not have the capability of translating or even comprehending. The closest I can find is certain free forming poems and even they leave much to be desired. The most they seem to accomplish is providing us with limited imagery which could be signs that point in no direction. Scripture (scripture in a planetary body of spiritual concepts not only “Christian” ones) seems emphasize the need of “spiritual” experiences like a broken record. I love Kimball’s concept of “Do it.” (my interpretation of it)

It draws you right down in to the heart of it. Is there an experience that you need? Then, “do it.” Are you going to make mistakes? HELL YES! Is it going to hurt? Piss off people you love? Get you arrested? Is it going make you happy? Are you going to be filled with Joy? Life? Love? YES! All of them. Perhaps even all of them at the same time!!

“So because thou art lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth.”
-Revelation 3:16

Make a choice! The outcome is not as important as the choice itself. If you made a huge mistake, GREAT! Now you know better. If you did the right thing, GREAT! Now do it again.

I think pinnacle of the human existence in both spiritual and physical reality is the ability to make choices. Perhaps creation is the sacred act of making a choice. Perhaps art, originality, creativity, innovation, imagination etc... things “worshiped” in the old worlds and praised and obsessed over in the new world are not loved for themselves (their fruits) but for the underlying principle that guides them, Choice.

2 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger annegb said...

I love music. I flunked music when I was in the 8th grade because I'm tone deaf and my teacher was a bad word.

Now, though, I have learned how to lead music, my voice is still lacking, but I have certain gifts there as well.

Music is a backdrop for all my life. All kinds, "Hey, Jude" got me through a lot when I was a junior in foster care.

Pachelbel's Canon comforted me when my son died.

Mony, Mony gets me going when I'm cleaning.

I can hear a song, and remember how old I was when it was popular and what was going on in my life.

Was I off the subject?

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Dyslexic Mystic said...

not at all. :)
I am the same way. Hey Jude.. and the whole Beatles catalog got me though middle school and high school.
Cannon is one of the most beautiful songs written.

So.. i concur? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home